Background Information on Accessibility Initiatives at The City of Calgary
Improving accessibility is an ongoing priority that benefits everyone in our communities. According to the 2012 Canadian Survey on Disability by Statistics Canada, almost 10 per cent of Calgarian’s identify as having some kind of physical, sensory, cognitive, or other disability.
The City is constantly taking steps to maintain accessibility as a priority. This includes adopting a Corporate Accessibility Policy which guides us in how we provide services to meet the needs of people with disabilities. The City has an Advisory Committee on Accessibility (ACA) which focuses on broad policy issues related to municipal properties, information and services. You can visit Calgary.ca/accessibility for a comprehensive list of City services and programs for people with disabilities.
Use these as a jumping off point, but don’t be afraid to push the limits with your ideas. Think big, think differently and think about how you can work with government to make Calgary a better place to live.
- 2016 Access Design Standards
- Accessibility Notice of Motion
- Calgary Corporate Accessibility Policy
- Imagine Calgary
- The 2020 Sustainability Direction
- Community Services Action Plan
To help you build on your ideas, please use the incredible Open Data resources The City of Calgary has to offer. These resources may help you to discover, plan and develop your ideas further.
- Calgary Transit Access Customer Perceptions Survey
- Calgary Transit Access On Time timeline
- Calgary Seniors Directory Map
- Community Services Map
- Fire Station Services Map
- School Locations and Communities Map
Where possible, Civic Innovation YYC will support* the development of great ideas that come from employees, citizens and businesses to improve civic services. We are committing to work with idea submitters to test at least three of the top** ideas submitted on this platform.
* This program uses a "low cost/no cost" prototyping model to support the first stages of testing when exploring an idea. A small budget for materials and resources may be available for the testing at the direction of the Civic Innovation Program and the Challenge Sponsor.
** The final ranking of top ideas is determined in a 2 stage process – first by popular vote, and then through the evaluation by the Civic Innovation Internal Advisory and Challenge Sponsor.
Be bold, be creative and innovate with us!
We want to hear from you.
We want to work with you to help make our City a better place to live, every day.